Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Days 2 & 3

Day Two: The day 2 workout is plyometrics, or jump-training for those of you not familiar. After the hundreds of push-ups and pull-ups we did in day 1, I was looking forward to something more active and not so isolated. Besides, years ago when I was a personal trainer I did get certified in Speed, Agility and Quickness training, which incorporates a lot of plyometrics - so I figured day 2 would be easier than day 1... Big mistake! The plometrics DVD is essentially an hour of jump-squats! Amiee and I were both panting with our legs burning after the 8 minute warm-up, and then the real pain began!

For the second day in a row I wanted to throw-up immediately after the workout. But I rested, enjoyed another recovery drink, and moved on. I'm pleased and proud to say we did make it through the entire session - we took a few jumps off here & there but overall it was a solid effort.

Day 2 on the diet was also ok - we went grocery shopping to buy a variety (as much variety as you can get) of the different portions of food groups and sorted them into portion sized packages. The lunch I packed to take to work consisted of 1 banana, 1 powerbar, 1 oz. of almonds and cashews mixed together, 3 oz. of non-fat ham and non-fat turkey, and two 3 oz bags of baby carrots. I ate throughout the day and was never hungry nor full - and I guess that's the point so that was alright. For dinner we made a taco salad with low-fat hamburger that I grilled and then broke apart into the salad. We each had to put 4 cups of leafy greens in our salad, which completely overwhelmed the hamburger and tiny ass 1 oz. portion of cheese that we were alloted, but we made do.

Day 3: Both Amiee and I got hungrier throughout day 3. I was at work and she was at home with Mackenzie (age 5), whose primary diet consists of Oreos, pizza, Pepsi and chocolate. Amiee made it past the temptations and supposedly kept her self-control - I'm taking her word for it with no questions asked at this point since she's being such a good sport with the workouts!

We enjoyed an egg-white scrambler for breakfast and I had prepared foods in portions to take to work for lunch so again we got by. For dinner we made a shrimp stir fry from a recipe in the P90X nutrition guide that was actually pretty tasty. However, in our excitement to prepare this experimental dish we forgot to pull the tails off of the shrimp so it was a bit more challenging to eat than it should have been!

The day 3 workout was arms and shoulders, which we both completed successfully and had no urge to throw-up after! We're definitely making progress - or we didn't push it hard enough with the dumbbells we were using - we'll step it up next time to be sure. We also had to do the Abs DVD again today, and I made it a little further in this time. I still can't get my body into the starting position of half of the moves, but I think that will improve over time - Amiee again did much better than I with that one.

We are wearing heart rate monitors during the workouts - that's recommended to make certain you're not "dogging it." For the time being we're using them to ensure we're not on the verge of death, but hopefully they will be used for their intended purpose in future weeks!

We each enjoyed the recovery drink after the workout this time - either the taste is growing on us or we're so dissatisfied with the other foods that we're eating that this wins out by comparison.

As far as results go, I am down 2 pounds but that could simply be a weight fluctuation, although my watch was sliding on my wrist today and I swear my pants felt looser and baggier. Could just be psychological but we need every bit of encouragement at this phase in the workout! I asked Amiee if she had lost any weight yet and she made some sort of groan and gave me a look that I only see when I've pissed her off. I think I'll wait a couple more days before I ask again.

Bottom Line: The workouts are ridiculously tough, you definitely have to be an athlete to get through them, and the diet is an adjustment - but pretty reasonable as far as diets go. Overall we're pleased with the program and anxious to keep moving forward after the first 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment